Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chile Rellenos

Chile Relleno's is a New Mexican/Tex-Mexican dish that takes a roasted Green Chile, or Poblano Pepper, stuffs it and the deep fries it.  I cheated and baked this, making it healthier.  This is so much like a stuffed pepper dish, and, again, I deviated from traditional and added more vegetables.  
I used some fresh poblano peppers I found at the grocery store, stuffed it with corn, diced chicken, drained canned tomatoes and leftover rice and edamame from the fridge.  The poblano pepper was not that hot as the seeds were removed after roasting.  It just imparted a nice flavour.  My 16 month old son loved them.

Chile Rellenos
Adapted from Rachael Ray's Chiles Rellenos 

4 poblano chiles
2 tsp oil
1/2 c corn (about 1 cob)
1 c diced chicken
1 small can drained, diced tomatoes (I say small can because I actually used a mason jar size of canned tomatoes from my pantry)
2 cloves, minced garlic
1/2 c edamame
1 c cooked rice
3 oz grated monteray jack cheese

Preheat the broiler.  Place the chiles on a rimmed baking sheet and broil, turning occassionally, until charred on all sides - about 10-15 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl and cover with palstic wrap and let stand until cool enough to handle.  Remove the charred skin, cut a lengthwise slit in each chile and discard the seeds, leaving the stems attached and being careful not to tear the chiles (if you do tear them - like I did - no worries!).

In a saucepan, heat oil and combine all remaining ingredients, except the cheese, until heated through.  Let cool slightly.

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Stuff the chiles with the rice/vegetable mixture and sprinkle with cheese.  Place in a baking dish, cover with tinfoil, and bake for 15 min, or until heated through.

No comments: