Sunday, March 21, 2010

Granola Bars

I have always tried to make granola bars, but many of the recipes are so extensive, containing ingredients that are not common, that I end up just buying them at the store.  Now, I have found a healthier version which can be altered to whatever dietary restrictions you may encounter.  Normally, this recipe calls for wheat germ, but I had ground flax seed in my fridge to use as a substitute.  It also calls for almonds, but since my husband is allergic to nuts, I omitted that.  As well, I had leftover dried tropical fruit from my son's birthday party, but any dried fruit will work well.  I halved the sugar content, and I think it can be omitted altogether as the honey, coconut and dried fruits add enough sweetness.

Granola Bars
(Adapted From The Barefoot Contessa)
Makes 40 small squares

2 c old-fashioned oatmeal
1 c shredded coconut, loosely packed
*1 c sliced almonds (not included in mine, but can use sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or any other nut)
1/2 c ground flax seed *recipe normally calls for wheat germ
3 T unsalted butter
2/3 c honey
1/8 c light brown sugar *recipe normally calls for 1/4 c, but I halved it
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c chopped dried fruit (can use dried dates, cranberries, apricots, mango, papaya, pineapple, etc)



On a baking sheet, combine oats and coconut (and nuts if using), and cook in a 350F oven until lightly toasted (about 10 min).  Pour into a large bowl and add the flax.  reduce the oven temperature to 300F.

 

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir for a minute.  Pour over the oat mixture and add in the chopped dried fruit, mixing well.



 Pour into a greased baking sheet, and press into the pan with wet fingers.  Bake in oven for 25-30 min, until golden brown.  Let cool 2-3 hours and slice.




Nutrients per Serving (per one serving of recipe)

Calories (kcal) 88

Fat (g) 2.3

Protein (g) 1.4

Carbohydrate (g) 16.8

Sugar (g) 11

Fibre (g) 1.5



 

No comments: