Friday, March 19, 2010

Saskatoon Spelt Muffins

Spelt is not a common grain that I use to bake with.  Probably because it's not commonly found.  It is a very healthy alternative to flour, containing less gluten and higher protein.  You can locate it at a health food store, and even some big supermarket chains carry it in their organic bulk section, which is where I located mine.  

These muffins are not overly sweet, and are delicious and very nutritious.  You can add any frozen or fresh fruit that you have.  I just happened to have saskatoons in my freezer, but blueberries, raspberries, bananas or even chocolate chips would work well.  When rhubarb is up in the spring, I will try that with some fresh strawberries.

This recipe has been adapted from Basic Spelt by Janet Feirin who owns a fabulous Spelt Bakery in Vancouver. If you are ever in that great city, check out her bakery for a yummy bite of baked goods, or buy her cookbook which contains delicious and easy recipes using spelt.

Saskatoon Muffins
Makes 1 dozen muffins

1 3/4 c spelt flour
1/3 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c milk (I used skim)
1/4 canola oil
zest of 1 lemon or orange (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 c fresh or frozen saskatoons (or any fruit you have on hand)

In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and sugar.  In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk and oil and add to the flour mixture.  Stir just until combined.  Fold in the zest, cinnamon (if using) and fruit.  Bake in a lightly greased muffin tin 375 F for about 20 min, or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.




1 comment:

Janet said...

Thank you for posting my recipe. We have a saskatoon berry bush in our backyard and I love saskatoon berry pancakes at this time of year.

Please check out my new blog under my profile for more ideas of what to do with spelt.

Janet Féirín