Thursday, April 29, 2010

Red Lentil Sweet Potato Curry

I'm hunkered down in my house watching the blowing snow and dreariness, not wanting to venture out into this yucky spring snowstorm.  For dinner, I wanted to use what was available in my pantry and freezer, and came up with this Thai curry inspired stew.  You can add any veggies you like, and make it into a full and delicious meal in itself, but, as I had leftover roast chicken and since my husband loves vegetarian food as long as it has chicken in it, I added that in.  Very delicious and soul warming.


Red Lentil Sweet Potato Curry

2 medium sweet potatoes, small dice
1 T red curry paste
1 c chicken stock or water
400ml can coconut milk
2/3 c red lentils
3 kaffir lime leaves
juice of 1 lime
1 clove garlic
grated ginger - about 1 tsp
grated lemongrass - 1 stalk (bottom 3")
1 c peas
1/2 c edamame
1 c chopped, cooked chicken

In a large Dutch Oven, over medium high heat, drizzle olive oil.  Add the sweet potato and curry paste.  Cook for 2 minutes.  deglaze pan with stock.  Cook for 2 minutes.  Add the coconut milk and remaining ingredients.  Stir, reduce heat to low, cover pot and cook for 30-45 minutes.  Remove lime leaves and serve with bread.

No comments: