Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Satsuma Sorbet



Oh La!  Was this ever amazing  So refreshing and easy to make.  I had bought a box of deliciously sweet satsumas (no different than a mandarin orange) and tried to figure out what to make with some of them.  My ice cream maker hasn't seen any action in maybe a decade, so I thought I should bring it out and give it a try.  I was so happy I did, and wondered why I haven't made sorbet before.  This is lovely for a hot summer's day.

Satsuma Sorbet

1/2 c sugar
1 c water
2 1/2 c satsuma juice (about 14-16 satsumas, depending on size)
6 T fresh lime juice

In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water.  Bring to a boil, and continue boiling for about 30 seconds, until the sugar is dissolved.  remove from heat and let cool completely.

Juice the satsumas and strain out the pulp.  When you have 2 1/2 cups, mix with juiced limes and simple syrup.  Taste to determine your sweet/tart level and add more limes or sugar accordingly.  If the satsumas are sweet enough, I would use less sugar in the simple syrup.

Strain liquid and place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 24 hours.  Once sufficiently chilled, place liquid in your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.



No comments: