Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lemon Ricotta Donuts




I need to preface this by stating that I have never made donuts before.  It's not that I don't appreciate a good Timbit once in a while (especially on a good 'ol road trip), it's just that I'm not a donut fanatic like some people are.  I guess I need to clarify.  Leonard's malasadas in the red stripe truck in Oahu, or freshly made mini-donuts at the Stampede.  So, "fresh" is key for me.
I enjoy freshly made donuts like

I had a tub of ricotta I was intending to make pancakes with, but with no pancakes made, and an expiration date swiftly coming upon me, I decided to try my hand at ricotta donuts.

These were surprisingly easy to make.  No waiting for the yeast to do it's magic.  They can be made and eaten in the morning to go with your tea.  Just deep fry them and roll them in cinnamon and sugar.  Easy peasy.  I would definitely make these for a kid's birthday party as they are a perfect size, and the recipe makes a lot.  As well, next time, I would inject them with a lemon curd or jam, just to yum them up a notch or two.  They are pretty versatile and pretty tasty, and the ricotta adds a nice, dense, cake-like texture.    My husband took a bite and declared "Tim's Who?'  Nice compliment, but I still need to figure out how to mimic the chocolate and dutchie.  Any recipe suggestions?





Lemon Ricotta Donuts
Makes approximately 16 donuts

6 large eggs
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 pound ricotta cheese
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
*zest of 1 lemon (optional)
1 tsp lemon extract (or vanilla extract if not making the lemon variety)

* you can add pretty much anything to this batter to change up the flavour.  Add chocolate, or coconut would be nice with a coconut extract.  Play around and let me know what you come up with.

In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, sugar, ricotta, flour and vanilla until combined. Make sure to not overmix the batter.

In a deep, heavy pot fitted with a deep-frying thermometer, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 325 degrees. Drop the batter by small ice cream scoopfuls or small spoonfuls (use 2 teaspoons) into the oil and fry for 3 minutes, turning often, until golden brown on each side. You may need to fry the doughnuts in two batches to avoid crowding the pot. Break open a doughnut to make sure it's cooked all the way through.

Scoop out the doughnuts with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels or a brown paper bag to drain. Let the oil come back up to temperature and repeat with the remaining batter.

Dust the doughnuts with or roll them in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar and serve hot.

No comments: